Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thinking Caribbean Thoughts

Do you remember that feeling when you were a kid and the weatherman predicted snow. You'd put a spoon under your pillow or sleep with your jammies inside out or any number of other wives tales to get a snow day. Growing up in Alabama, a prediction was all it took to close the state. Most of the time we'd get a dusting at best (which wasn't even stuck to the roads). But every once in a while, we'd get a really good snow. We'd get our makeshift sleds (garbage can lids, stiff cardboard, baby tubs--no lie, it was my sled for several years) and, after a few practice runs in my backyard, I's go to our neighbor's house with a great hill and spend the day sledding down. And that was pure bliss.
Snow days as a grown-up aren't as much fun. Granted, as a teacher, I do still GET snow days (which is good since I don't know how to drive in snow and prefer to stay home anyway). But what kid gets sick of snow days? We've had a ridiculous amount of snow this year. No, we don't live in D.C. or anywhere on the east coast, which has been hammered with snow, which currently sits taller than me. But we've had 3 or 4 storms dump 4-6 inches on us at a time. Snow days make me lazy. That's a lie. I'm pretty lazy period. But it's even HARDER to motivate myself to get off the couch for lunch, much less to vacuum or get the load of laundry from the weekend that is STILL sitting in the dryer. This last round has been a doozy. It started late Sunday night and we had maybe 3 or 4 inches by mid-morning. Local public schools were out for the holiday (and Husband was home-Yay!-to spend the day with me), but many schools were using the day to make-up snow days...only to have a snow day.
They're still out today, including schools that NEVER close. One of my tutorees was lamenting the fact that her school never closes for snow. It was the only school in all of our county to be open with the last storm. Guess who's out today (along with all of the others)? Private schools here often make their own call and often are in session, but even those are out now. I just measured the snow on our back patio and we range from 4 inches closest to the door to 6
inches on our table. The drifts are crazy too! I'd take pictures of the drifts, but you can't tell how much it is. I can show y'all these though:












My attempt at a drift photo. Really doesn't give a frame of reference.















Snow sliding down the roof.















6 inches on the table. Crazy drifts behind it, too!



















The snow on the seats meet the bottom of the arm rest.

Snow, go away. I used to love you, but now I'm kind of apathetic. Go away for a long time and we may be able to renew our relationship. Anyone need a buddy to go to the Caribbean?

No comments:

Post a Comment