Monday, February 8, 2010

Bonus Post!

Have you ever been to a baseball or perhaps football or basketball game that goes into overtime and the announcer gets all excited because "you paid for (insert appropriate time here), but now you get FREE (insert sport)!!!"? The announcer for the Lexington Legends does this. Well, y'all are getting FREE BLOG POST!! Wait...I don't think that counts.
This post is just a few snippets.
* We got a new DVD shelf. It looks really good, doesn't feel like it's going to fall over at any moment, and was pretty inexpensive from Target.com (free shipping and we bought during the home event so it was something like 15% off)!


















*I've discovered a few great blogs. I'm a little OCD when it comes to organizing so anything along those lines are great! I've recently added Totally Together Journal to my Google Reader and LOVE the cleaning tips. Totally manageable after a long day hanging out with kids. I discovered Literally Organized just today, so I'm still working through the old posts, but I'm loving what I'm reading so far.
*My best lady friends and I love a coffee shop close to our former campus. It's the meeting spot whenever we all happen to be in town (or country as the case sometimes is) and are free. It's funky, it's local (gotta support the small business), they make the BEST lattes, and they only use fair trade coffee. "What the heck does that mean?" you may be asking. Even if you're not asking, I'm going to tell you anyway. As with many imports, coffee is often imported from poor countries and workers are paid very little for their hard work. And harvesting coffee is HARD work. Fair trade works to raise the standard. Workers are paid a fair wage and work under improved conditions. Importers face tougher standards, which can mean higher prices for the consumer, but with a lighter conscience knowing the hands are not being abused to get me the coffee. That's at the store though. Our place has comparable prices to Starbucks (again, made even better by the civic duty we perform supporting Fair Trade AND local business) Plus, our coffee shop does a Happy Hour and all drinks are 1/2 price! Another option to fair trade is a program called Crop to Cup. It's similar, but instead of a co-op (essentially what fair trade is), farmers are paid a certain percentage over market value. Find more info about it here. Just passing along potentially useful info!

No comments:

Post a Comment