Monday, February 2, 2009

Reasons #487-490 I want to buy a house

#487: Neighbors. I am so sick of sharing walls. My "must have" list for a house is short: 3 bed/2 bath, 2-car garage (learned after the latest ice storm) and single family. The wish list is what will get us, but those are seriously my 2 major requirements. NO CONDOS OR TOWNHOMES!! Last night, Husband called in a noise complaint. It was 11:30 and our neighbor had his bass up so loud, my jewelry box and things in the bathroom RATTLED. We may have been able to put up with it if it was at all earlier or the first time it's been that loud. It has become routine to hear his music or movie or TV or whatever the HECK it is at least once a week. Normally it isn't as loud as last night, but still hearable.

#488: Water heater. I timed my shower tonight: 5 minutes. In my college days, when I didn't have a water bill, that was unheard of. When I had my own apartment (and a water bill), I cut it down to a solid 7. I'm barely able to do what needs doing in 5. Why am I taking crazy short showers? Because our water heater sucks. We've called maintenance and they came to look at it. He basically said it gets hot, so what's my problem? We probably just have a smaller heater than we're used to. The problem with his diagnosis is that he checked the downstairs kitchen faucet. Yeah, because that would have the same output. And I never said it didn't GET hot. The problem is it doesn't STAY hot. When I'm taking a 5 minute shower, the knob should not get turned AS FAR AS IT WILL GO. As in the scalding setting. Nope, warm, but not hot. And heaven forbid I want to take my time shaving, because it will be COLD by the end.

#489: James. He's one of our leasing agents and a total Phi Tau (for you non-Transy folk that means tool). I called the office last fall because a family of birds had taken residence on our dryer vent inside our porch. I asked if someone could please come clean it up and get rid of them before they really began nesting. It didn't get done. So in the spring, when there were baby birds, I tried again and it didn't get done. I got a reason: They won't take out a nest if the birds are still there. Fair enough. Don't like it, but I'll deal. So a month later, I notice the birds come and go, but the babies are out. This is when I begin my hate-hate relationship with James. He assures me it will get done. Normally, maintenance is pretty quick about coming out, so 3 days later, when it wasn't done, I go back and ask AGAIN. I think maybe the birds happen to be there, so maintenance skips it. But, the birds will keep coming back if they have somewhere to come back to. But what do I know. He says no problem. STILL not done. Husband is beyond livid by this point as the bird poop has over-run our otherwise nice porch. He went ahead and knocked down the nest. He calls the office, speaks to James and in no uncertain terms says the porch will be cleaned by the end of the day or the health department will be called. I get home and the porch has been cleaned...it left a little to be desired, but I no loger worry about what diseases I'll catch just by walking outside. Granted, this rant is partly on the others in the office, but I have never had pleasent encounters with him. Plus he was incredibly Phi Tau-ristic to Husband this evening when he went to follow-up on our noise complaint.

#490: PAINT! I am so excited to not have off-white walls it's ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment